How did Dr. White and Dr. Chapman get connected to work on the 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace together?
Dr. White sought out Dr. Chapman in 2006 and they met together at one of Dr. Chapman’s marriage conferences. They agreed for Dr. White to begin by working on an assessment tool that would apply the 5 love languages to work-based relationships. This developed into the MBA Inventory, and their work together developed from there.
Dr. White seems to have different areas of professional practice; how did he become interested in them?
Dr. White has always had varied professional interests.
- He initially started counseling individuals and families.
- He then developed a specialty of evaluating students with learning difficulties, which he has continued over the past 20+ years.
- Having grown up in a family-owned business, he was aware of the relational issues inherent in families working together and he was asked by business consultants to assist in this area.
- He then was introduced to a national organization that dealt with the family issues intertwined with business succession and wealth transfer, and was asked to help train professionals in this area.
- In working with families nationally, he found that a common concern was the career development of young family members. Having worked in university counseling centers providing career counseling, he started to provide these services to meet that growing need.
- Having been impacted personally by The 5 Love Languages®, he saw the need to apply these concepts to work-based relationships and pursued that goal.
Dr. White is the type of person who likes variety and states, “I never have a boring day!”